Thursday, September 18, 2008

Every year since I was 12 years old I've gone camping for a week with my father in Quetico provincial park, in Ontario, Canada. I'm now 32, so that makes 20 years of wilderness canoeing and backpacking in a fairly remote area. I've learned a great deal about a surprising breadth of subjects from these trips. Not just about camping, but about life in general.

This blog will serve as my means of getting some of these lessons, concepts, and ideas down. This is mostly for my own sake, but I hope that as the amount of information here expands it will become an increasingly valuable resource for people who have a curiosity about this world, this universe, and our station in both.

The impetus for this blog came while I was camping with some friends some time ago. I watched in amusement as they placed three large logs on top of some paper and leaves and tried repeatedly and futilely to start a fire. When I advised that they needed to get a small fire going with lots of small pieces, then gradually work up to larger sticks, and eventually logs, I was amazed to find that they scorned the audacity of my interruption. They remarked that there was no one right way to build a fire and proceeded to argue with each other about whether the logs should in a tepee formation or a log cabin.

I was dumbfounded.

There is a right way to build a fire. I know this. I know this because I've had to do it in the rain. I've had to do it in a hurry, I've had to do it with limited resources, and I've had to do it to keep warm -- even to fight back hypothermia -- not just to roast marshmallows. It is true that there are many actions that will eventually, under the right circumstances, create a fire. Most of these ways will take too long, make too much smoke, not create a nice bed of coals, and most importantly, will never work when you need a fire most -- when you are cold and wet and in a hurry to build a fire.

This knowledge doesn't make me better than other people in general -- just better than most people at building fires.




What I'm getting at is that we as a society, we as a species, have forgotten how to do simple, fundamental things that make us uniquely human. Fire, as much as any other single invention or advancement, is what separates us from other primates. It, along with clothing, kept us warm so we could stop growing hair. It enabled us to cook food, thereby expanding our diets and allowing for greater diversity and abundance in what we could eat. It provided relative safety and security at night so that we could sleep.

And now we are forgetting how to make it.

That led me to wonder, "What else are we forgetting how to do?"

Everyone is looking for a guide book on how to live a balanced, happy life. We buy self-help books, we go to seminars, we seek the advice of strangers, and, perhaps above all else, we look to the heavens for answers.

We read the Bible, Koran, Torah, the Vedas and countless other spiritual sacred texts. We believe, because we are told every day, that one of these books holds the key to happiness and joy -- even everlasting life and glory.

The follower of each sect will often hold firm to the belief that theirs is the only correct, true, or righteous path to heaven, enlightenment, happiness, nirvana, salvation, etc.

But what if all you seek is a guidebook on day to day living in this crazy, ever-changing world of ours?




In the past, the existence of religions made sense. People needed a way to explain the inexplicable and, more importantly, a way to convince their fellow humans to live a certain way: Be nice to each other. Don't kill anybody. Don't touch the skin of a dead pig -- it's unclean. These were things that had to be spelled out in simple language that everyone could understand.

Increasingly however, the dogmas and rituals that go along with most organized religions make less and less sense to more and more people. This is because most of the teachings are 2,000 or more years old. The only reason it took us this long to, at least partially, shake off the smothering blanket of religious dogmas is that we all belong to societies that were founded by the purveyors of those religions and their dogmas.

What we need is a place where you can get simple, actionable advice on how to live your life in a sustainable, productive, and balanced manner.

Obviously I do not claim to have all the answers. As I have a worthwhile epiphany I will post it here. If you have an answer to a simple everyday problem, please, please, please share. Eventually I hope that this blog becomes a place where we can together create a manual for living a balanced life. We must have the humility to know that we should look to our past to unlock some of the secrets of our future. At the same time we must recognize that this crucial moment in history, a moment when a scientific discovery in Geneva on Tuesday can be shared with a middle school classroom in Kansas City on Thursday, allows us to break free from those parts of our society which simply do not work.

We get to choose which behaviors we want to teach to our children. They will emulate us and pass on the stories we tell them. Will you teach your children how to build a fire, how to wage a war, how to grow a crop, how to responsibly drive a car, how and when to make babies and raise them, how to safely use the internet?

Just like building a fire, these are all things that there is a right way to do. In some cases the right way is to simply stop doing it. This is a place where we can all talk about what those ways are.

3 comments:

drmcgehee said...

I agree that there is a right way to do everything. But does it not therefore stand to reason that one person's right way is not another persons right way? I believe that is why we are living in a world where everyone has choice and the freedom to find their individual right way, not just follow the course of those before or beside them. That is where the passion for tolerance comes into play. How boring it would be if everyone did everything the same way. Perhaps the freedom to learn our own right way is better than being told the right way by someone else. Not to be forced to do something the "right way" that is not our own. Not to be scoffed at, laughed at, yelled at, bullied or made fun of, but to be allowed to let every person feel, think and live their own right way.

Guitar Ben said...

Hey D! (Maybe I should start calling you M? Or M-I-L? Or S-T-B [soon to be] M-I-L?)

For the record, this is exactly the kind of dialog I was craving when I posted this monstrosity of a blog -- so thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts and viewpoint.

You are so right. No one person can claim to know the "right way" for everything -- or for everybody. Certainly not me. And I hope it didn't come off like I was claiming to have all the answers for everybody. For the record -- I do not. (Dang!)

And certainly everybody should be free to search out, find, and apply their own "right way".

The fire metaphor was one that popped into my mind because of personal experience. But another much more pointed metaphor would be an F-16 jet.

There is a "right way" to fly an F-16. Yes, you could get in the cockpit and say, "I'll find my own way to fly this thing, thank you very much," but that probably wouldn't end well.

I don't know what the right way to fly an F-16 is, but I know there is a right way. And if I was sitting in the cockpit and an experienced pilot came over and offered some advice, I wouldn't turn it down or think that he was laughing at me or talking down. I would like to think that I would thank him for the advice and be grateful that someone had taken the time to figure out the best way to fly this thing so that I didn't have to.

It might seem like a strange comparison, fire vs. jet, but only because flying a jet the "wrong way" is likely to cause instant death while using any of the "wrong ways" to build a fire will likely only cause a smokey, annoying fire that took twice as long to build as it should have.

12,000 years ago, during the last ice age, trying to build a fire the "wrong way" would likely have caused death pretty quickly. You either learned the right way to build a fire or you died.

Just because not knowing the right way to build a fire isn't likely to kill you these days doesn't mean there stopped being a right way. It just means the right way stopped mattering as much to most people.

I don't know a lot. But I know how to build a good fire when it matters. it doesn't mean that there's not a better way. If someone can teach me to start a fire with heat beams that shoot out of my eyes -- let me tell you I am fully on board!

In the mean time -- I'm lazy. I want people, like you, who have different sources of wisdom and different skills than me, to share that knowledge and give me a few pointers on something that you think you have found a pretty good way to do. I could go find my own way -- but if you've already tried many of the "wrong ways" to do something and are confident you've found a "right way" then I will definitely try that first.

And, frankly, the only people out there right now claiming to know the "right way" to do anything are representing a religion or a cult. No thank you.

What about those of us who want some helpful tips and advice from smart folks who have done this before, but don't want to go to church, religious texts, or Wako TX, to get it?

So that's my defense. I hope I didn't offend with either the original blog or this response.

drmcgehee said...

No you did not offend, you big goof. And for the record, I can't wait to be a M-L-I. You can call me Mom anytime you want.

I am just glad that you could take what I said and reply in kind. You are right aboutthe F16 annd if you start shooting beams out of your eyes, you can no longer call me Mom!

I guess the only thing I can say is that you can check out my blog at theongoingsearch.blogspot.com. Maybe that will be my defense! That, and being married to Michael for so long!

And I agree about religion and cults, etc. Actually, aren't they the same thing - religion and cult?

I maybe have more years trying to find "the rght way" than you, but I don't believe I am any closer to finding it than someone much younger than I. Perhaps my upbringing stunted by search!